Monday, November 1, 2010

All Saints Day

Halloween here was rather uneventful. Mike, Bea and I watched some Castilla-La Mancha short films. Some had a scary element. I re-watched some today with English subtitles, changed some of those movies completely for me since some of them I didn't always understand the translation!

Today was the celebration for All Saints Day, I enjoyed my extra day off. We ate some candy that tasted like Marzipan (which is like almond paste), kind of like cookie dough. (Dad you truly missed out).


It is custom on this day to visit the cemetery and bring flowers to your family there. They also clean it of dirt and leaves so that the tombs look nice. Here the tombs look like they are more above ground, most of them are made of marble. There is also a section of graves that just have crosses for markers - Bea said those are for people that don't have money. It was an interesting difference from the elegant dark marble graves decorated with crosses and plaques to the others. There were so many beautiful flowers, and so many people.
Bea explained the process after someone dies, and then Mike explained our process. I ended up getting really emotional, which I don't think I generally do in this type of situation. He told her about the wake and the open casket. I nearly broke down. I started to think about a childhood friend that died - it was the first open casket I had ever been too. It just brought back a ton of emotions and I couldn't even speak a word while we were there, it took another 10 minutes when we were driving for me to get out anything. I really just wanted a Mom hug. :(
On another note, Bea took us to some other towns, San Carlos and La Solana. We all enjoyed a beer in the square in La Solana. It was really pretty and people were out, so the plaza looked alive! When we came home, I made some rosemary and garlic chicken with sauteed veggies and rice. Pretty proud of myself.

Tomorrow I go fight with Caja Madrid for a bank account, and get my carnet joven which will get me discounts on everything here. XOXO
Tori
P.S. I am working on postcards!

No comments:

Post a Comment