Wednesday, November 24, 2010

3 Hours on a Stairmaster

Saturday I wanted to go to the big market close to the Alfama district of Lisboa. I hopped on a tram (so convenient) and away I went. The plan was to go to the market, walk through the Alfama district (which is made up of windy little streets with great architecture), through the city viewpoints to the Cathedral. Then take a tram or bus up to the Castle on the top of the hill.
It started off alright, I went to the huge market, my mom would have loved all the crafty things they had, like Mainstreet Days on steroids. The weather was great, and I didn't even need a jacket. I reached the end of the market and found the street marked on the map so I headed that way, then nothing looked right and streets were not matching up, so I turned around. I was looking at the map while walking and of COURSE I step in dog poop (Europe just lets their dogs go where ever, even if it means in the middle of the sidewalk. VERY Unnerving.) I was so frustrated because the ONE time I'm not looking at the sidewalk and that happens. , I regressed and finally I stopped and asked for help. The Portuguese are some of the nicest people in the world. Always willing to help.
Unfortunately one person lead me to the river, which was the exact opposite of where I wanted to go. Thus, I walked about a million stairs through Alfama district up to the top of the hill to the castle It took me a good 2 hours 45 minutes and I thought I was going to die. So many stairs and uphill cobblestone walkways to get to my destination. It was worth it, and I have some great pictures and I did have a great workout.
I got back to the hostel around 4 or 5 and I had to take a nap.

 I was very brave for dinner. I wanted to try Bacalao, which is essentially codfish. I was a little sad to eat dinner alone, but it was a good experience. I don't know if I ever learned how to eat fish before. I'm used to eating filets, things off the bone. So dinner was an experience to say the least because I didn't know how to cut around the bones at first! I had fun laughing at my ridiculousness. I had some green wine for dinner as well and it was interesting, close to a white wine. For dessert I had some cherry liquor. My glass had 2 cherries, each soaked with the liquor which made them extremely strong!

Later, I went out with some people in the hostel to see some Fado music. It is traditional Portuguese and it is very somber but I enjoyed it very much. The accent is very beautiful. It was nice not to have to go alone!

Until Next Time

Tori

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmmm, I remember those cobblestone streets and hills quite well. Imagine arriving in Lisbon at 5am with all of your luggage (including at least a 60lb rolling suitcase) and having to head down to Ajuda. Alfama was lovely when I was there--they were preparing the town for the city's saint day in mid-June and so there were colored streamers everywhere.
    The Portuguese preparation of bacalao ftw.
    Ah noooooes! Please tell me you had some pasteis de Belem!!!! The original little cafe/diner for it is near the old monastery, cheap and delicious.
    I arrived in Lisbon from Seville and my CS host in Spain who had spent three months on internship in Lisbon the year before described Lisbon to me as "nostalgic." I didn't understand it until arriving, but between the archictecture, the mindset of the people, the food, and the fado.....I understood (and loved it).

    In any case, three hours on a stairmaster does no one harm....right?

    -Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, two posts before I think I talked of the greatness of pasteis de Belem. I could have eaten 20 of those things. Best pastry I've EVER had. There was a line out the door of that place, so I opted for a table so I could have some and a cappuccino. No harm on a stairmaster - helped me sleep better I guess?

    If I have time, I'll go back to Portugal for surfing. haha

    ReplyDelete