Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Manza Street Etiquette

There are a few things I have noticed my last 8 months here while walking around in Manza.

1. When it is nice out - EVERYONE is out, walking. Walking with friends, walking with an ipod, walking with a dog, walking to walk. It is common to walk to the town over - Membrilla. And it is very common to walk along the 'river' (really it is more of a creek if you ask me). I walk to school almost everyday. Sometimes I don't like to for my early classes because I am carrying my computer the whole way - and at 8am in the morning that just isn't fun. But I have gotten used to it, and the walk seems shorter everyday. All in all, I love just walking and people watching here.
Also note that around Siesta time - EVERYTHING (minus the Grocery store and a few pubs) are CLOSED, and NO ONE is in the street. When I first noticed this, it was like a ghost town. You could look our your window to one of the popular squares and it would be EMPTY. Then around 5:30 to 8pm, crowded and filled with people!

2. With walking on some of the popular streets - we call the main street here Gran Via -  cars can't drive on it. So it is made for walking and shopping. It is relatively thin, and usually crowded on a good day. This can cause problems of people just standing around and little children running all around the street - meaning you have to pay attention to everything to your left, right, in front of you, and behind you. I have almost tripped over small children before, or walked in to someone when they stopped abruptly.

3. I see more people WALKING their bikes here than RIDING them. Still trying to figure that out. I don't think as a child I ever "took my bike for a walk". Sometimes you see 2 people crammed on a 1 person bike. This is most entertaining to see the positions of the two people - usually without a helmet, some without shirts on. It amazes me how they keep balance and go fast at the same time without getting hurt. Cirque du Soleil should really start looking for some new talent here.

4. People walking their pets here let their animals do their business freely (I HATE the P word...) and don't pick it up. It is rampant here in Manza and I can't stand it. It is so rude. That is why it is important to look down while walking - even on the sidewalk here. The ONE time I wasn't paying attention to the sidewalk and BAM - stepped in it. I was livid, I almost cried. I am just fed up with that here. Come on people - clean up after your dogs. This frustration also comes from the fact that sometimes the street just reeks of animal waste. Even more awful when it is hot and you need to leave your window open ( I recently Febreezed my room several times to try and make it less offensive. ). Another note is that we must dry our clothes outside and I want my clothes to smell like air and nothing more...

5. The street behind my flat has been underconstruction since before we even moved in back in March. It is still not complete. I think part of the reason is that they don't block it off for people not to drive on. It is less than gravel, some wet cement, metal boards, glass, etc. People STILL drive on this. I think they could get it knocked out in a few days if they just blocked it off! People drive super slow down this road - if they just let it be closed a few days it would be DONE in a few days. Taking bets on whether it will be done in September when I return or not...


Some last thoughts. I should be asleep right now...

Tori

No comments:

Post a Comment