Saturday, April 30, 2011

More-Occo Please

I know I haven't been so diligent with keeping up. Time is really flying here, I can't believe April is almost over!
I just returned from Morocco - maybe one of the best trips of my life (which is really saying something!) The 6 day trek was perfect, it included a lot of Moroccan cuisine, guided tours, and even a night in the Sahara desert. We had a woman from Fez on the tour that was able to answer questions and tell us some history of each place we visited. I still can't believe I was in Africa.

We took a ferry from Tarifa to Tanger, and immediately headed to Rabat. It is a pretty city on the west coast of Africa.
We first exchanged money - I look totally rich!

The restaurant we stopped at was probably my favorite of the whole trip. We had this pastry dish filled with chicken and topped with cinnamon and sugar. I need to learn how to make it. It was delicious.





After touring the small Medina, we headed to Fez for the night. Then early in the morning headed to the desert!

This is the monument for King Mohammad.


The trip into the desert was interesting. It will be all dead looking and then out of nowhere an Oasis of palm trees will pop up!

The last city with roads that you see on a map is Merzouga. After that it doesn't look like there are any roads...because there aren't. We hopped in to 4x4's and each driver took a separate route across the sand to the hotel we were staying at. A little scary at first because the road just ends. And each driver takes off differently because it is hard to follow someone when the sand is all being kicked up. It is a bumpy ride, and one of the cars even got a flat tire on the way! Such a contrast from the rocky desert to the sand dunes!


The rocky desert. Cattle in the background!

Our 4x4 group.

Picture of the sun...there was a dust storm that day!

I still couldn't believe I was in Africa. Such contrasting landscapes throughout the drive.

Until next time - I will be updating on the Dunes of the Sahara. Probably my favorite part of the trip!

Tori








1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    I have been searching for this information and finally found it. Thanks!

    Travel tours Morocco

    ReplyDelete